Started Dec 22, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mgn2
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
D40 upgrade
Dec 22, 2010

I currently have a D40 and 18-55 VR lens. I have been happy with results over the past year or two and have learnt a lot on my own shooting over 15,000 photographs in various situations and in some of the most beautiful locations on this planet. I am interested in all kinds of photography - people, landscapes, low light, wildlife, macro, sports/fast-moving children. I feel I am ready to move on and try something new. I am looking for recommendations for a new setup (body and lens). Some requirements:

1. I prefer to have just one lens on me. I like to travel light and I'm not really convinced that carrying more lenses will drastically improve my photography.

2. I don't usually use a tripod and would like some sort of stabilization. My hands are fairly steady and I make sure I have decent posture while shooting. I know I really should use one and I sometimes use a table tripod (I know they suck!).

3. With my kit I obviously lack any sort of zoom and my pictures are not the highest resolution (typically 2-3mb). I would to be able to get as much zoom as possible while keeping the at least 18mm on the lower end of the focal length.

4. I would also like some sort of improvement in auto-focus speed and perhaps a fast lens too.

5. I am looking to spend less than $1000 and don't mind refurbished/used products. My current setup cost me less than $400 buying refurbished.

I know I am going to have to compromise on a few things, but any suggestions are welcome.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow