Ever damaged a front lens element? FIlters..

Started Dec 21, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tianium
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,237
Like?
Ever damaged a front lens element? FIlters..
Dec 21, 2010

Yes the age old question.
Filters for protection or not?

I have searched everywhere and there are definitly 2 schools of thought on this subject. But what I do see a lot is people claiming that the filter saved their front lens element from damge during a fall. But it usually goes something like this...

I dropped my camera and it landed lens down. I heard the sound of breaking glass. But luckily it was the filter that broke. It was shattered and I had to spend some time carefully cleaning the peices of glass out. Then I had to cut the fiters ring off as it was bent and couldn't be turned. So glad I had a filter on the front. It protected my lens. I'll never be without one

Seems to me though that the filter breaking could have actually damaged/scratched the front lens element. And who is to say that without the filter on that the lens would have been damaged anyway. The lens front element is much thicker than the glass used in a filter.

So............

Has anyone ever actually done any damage to a lenses front element that they believe would not have happened had they had a filter fitted?

Cheers
Darin

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow