Started Dec 21, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DBranca
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
EF-S lenses
Dec 21, 2010

Sorry if this is an old question. I'm looking at buying an EF-S Lens for my 7D body. I'm interested in the EF-S 17-55mm zoom lens as a "walk around lens choice. The reviews of this lens are good and it seems to be well built and sharp. I'm confused a bit though. I assumed that all EF-S lenses where specifically made for EOS "cropped" cameras and where true to their respective fields of view.

However, I read somewhere that the 1.6 field of field of view factor still applies to this lens thus making it about 27.2mm to 88mm. Is this the case, or do I have it all wrong?

I was also looking at the 24-70mm f.8L USM lens as an alternative. I know that would be affected by the 1.6 FOV factor.

The difference in the price of these two lenses is close so which is the best one to buy?

I know the L lenses are Canons' top of the line series, but I what I want to know is...is the EF-S lens affected by the FOV 1.6 factor, or is it really 17-55mm? If it isn't I would think the L series lens is a better choice and a better investment since it can be used on a full frame camera.

Thanks!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow