ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
andywatkins1963
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Sigma 18/125 (not IS) V Tamron 18-270 VC
Dec 21, 2010

Hi guys,

I currently only own two lenses, a Sigma 18-125 (not image stabilised) which I use 99% of the time and a 50mm F1.8 I very occasionally use.

I am considering replacing the Sigma 18-125 with a Tamron 18-270 (the current one not the new one just announced).

What I would like is people’s opinions comparing these two lenses. I realise neither lens is “L” class, they are both super zooms with all that entails. So I am not asking if the Tamron is better image quality than a Cannon L lens, I am asking if it is better Image quality than the Sigma 18-125.

The extra reach from 125 up to 270 is rather a lot, though I consider that a nice to have, there are few pics I take where the 125 is not zoom enough.

The image stabilisation is a definite plus for me. I never use a tripod and have only averagely stable hands. I also live in the UK which is not too bright so shutter speed can be a problem.

So that is a nice to have plus to the Tamron and a big win to the tamron.

Lightweight is important to me, but as I am only carrying the one lens (attached to a Canon EOS 400D) I don’t think the Tamron is very much heavier? Opinions please.

Image quality I have no idea, is the Tamron the same as the Sigma or is it “Better” than the sigma. I don’t think the Sigma is the sharpest lens on the market, it’s ok for me, but if the tamron is a little sharper that would be nice?

Andy

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow