70-300 or so reccomendations for a Nikon d7000 or d300s...

Started Dec 20, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
glasswave
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,965
Like?
70-300 or so reccomendations for a Nikon d7000 or d300s...
Dec 20, 2010

I have done just a bit of research, but I am mostly a Canon guy & don't know the Nikons super well.

I am asking for a friend who is coming to the states & wants to buy a new camera & lens. She is upgrading from a Nikon d50. She has only a 18-135 Nikor lens.

She is a journalist and will use the cam/lenses for work & personal. She has worked for Peru's 2nd largest paper, but since returning from studies at Oxford has been doing mostly freelance writing. This may include travel articles, special interest writing & some research journalism.

She will use the unit from high in the Andes to the deep Amazon. She also is planning on a getting a 70-300 Nikor. When asked which is more important, low light vs action performance, she said "Both." Her skill level as a photog is probably low intermediate. She understands shutter/aperture/DOF/ISO, but definitely does not use all the features of the d50 & often reverts to programmed modes. Usually she shoots RAW, but is not a strong PP'er.

How does the 55-300 compare to the 70-300's from Nikon? Is there any Sigmas/Tokina/Tamrons that she should consider. How is the IQ/focus/build of the Nikons offerings. F2.8's & such are out of the picture budget wise.

She is on her way to the states soon so accept my apologies for not doing much research, but I need to iron this out quickly.

-- hide signature --

There is simply too much beauty in the world to photograph it all, but I'm trying.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow