Why don't Canon people want the Nikon fast-FPS crop feature?

Started Dec 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zerozeronine
Contributing MemberPosts: 595
Like?
Why don't Canon people want the Nikon fast-FPS crop feature?
Dec 19, 2010

Unless I'm misunderstanding the feature, it seems like Nikon full-frame cameras have a crop mode that takes crop-sized photos while increasing the FPS.

The big benefit of this is that you get two cameras in one. A high-res but slow full-frame camera for landscapes, and a cropped (and larger-reach) but faster camera for action. So, say, if you have a full-frame camera that has 46 MP, it might have around 3 FPS, but, when cropped to APS-C 18 MP, it could be as fast as the 7D (the D3 goes from 9 FPS to 11 FPS, so it's not a linear speed increase, but maybe the D3 is limited by other factors like the shutter). Given how the 1Ds/1D and 5DII/7D pairs have similar sizes and weather proofing, there'd be less benefit to owning both of a pair.

People in the Canon forums debate a lot about resolution versus DR or sensor sensitivity (which is a key issue), but I rarely see anyone clamoring for a cropped mode that gives higher FPS. I could definitely benefit from such a feature.

Of course, this crop mode is most helpful if the resolution of the cropped size is high enough, but, given how Canon tends to go higher res than Nikon, it'd be a feature that'd work even better for Canon.

Kaz

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow