Considering the K-5, simplifying and refocusing my business.

Started Dec 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Adam51980
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
Considering the K-5, simplifying and refocusing my business.
Dec 19, 2010

I am currently shooting Olympus and use an E-3 and a E-30 along with a 12-60 F2.8, 50-200 F2-8, and a Sigma 30mm F1.4 lens. In addition to that I have just recently purchased a Nikon D700 and a Tamron 28-75 F2.8 lens for low light work. I mostly shoot weddings and where my Olympus gear struggles I use my D700. This is mostly at wedding receptions for the main dances and in dim churches. I prefer my Olympus gear to the Nikon and I feel that within it's constraints it has great image quality. I also really like that my E-3 and Olympus lenses are weather proof.

I do a lot of work with off camera flash and prefer portraiture to weddings. My intentions are to try and refocus my business more towards portraiture and shoot fewer weddings. So my thought process is if I shoot mostly portraiture I do not really need my D700 and I can sell it along with the Tamron lens and SB900 flash and be able to afford a K-5 and a 16-50 F2.8, and a 50-135 F2.8. I could then sell my Olympus gear and purchase a 50 F1.4, 300 F4, and a AF-540 Flash. I would also pick up a K-7 as a backup.

How quick is the K-5's auto focus compared to the Nikon D700? The D700 blows my Olympus gear away in low light. It focuses extremely fast in situations where my E-3 struggles and hunts. The reason that I am considering switching to Pentax is because I feel it is one of the most cost effective systems available and it is weather proof. I also like the small size of the system. The noise performance is far ahead of my Olympus gear and is on par or better than my D700. Is this a decent idea? Or should I just sell my Olympus gear and invest more in Nikon?

Thanks Adam

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow