Started Dec 18, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HarryPlopper101
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
D7000 or Pentax K-7
Dec 18, 2010

Santa (i.e., my wife) has been good to me this year and is letting me spend $1500 on a new camera system. I currently shoot with a Pentax K100D and have a 17-70 lens on it. I primary shoot nature photography, family shots, and some action/sports shots. I do take my equipment on long hikes on the trails and sometimes visit dusty/dirty/wet places. The K100D is nice, but the AF is abysmal and the IQ leaves much to be desired.

I will probably not buy another camera for 5+ years, so this purchase has to last and keep me happy.

I am split between the Pentax K-7 and Nikon D7000. Both have weather sealing, which I desire and the IQ seems pretty comparable. Here are what I see as the pros cons of the two:

Nikon Pros:
1. Weather sealed
2. Lots of accessories and lenses
3. Good IQ

Nikon Cons:
1. IS is built into lenses and not camera body
2. Lenses are expensive
3. Sounds like some buttons or knobs on the body might be a bit loose
4. Pricier system than Pentax

Pentax Pros:
1. I already own some Pentax lenses
2. Lots of pro features
3. Reasonably priced

Pentax Cons:
1. Slow AF
2. Lack of accessories and lenses
3. Always seems to be behind the curve set by Nikon and Canon
4. IQ less than Nikon, especially at low light

Nikon seems like a nice system to grow into and buy a few good-quality lenses (super-wide and telephoto) that will keep me happy. Pentax is nice because I already own a few lenses and would save money buying a superwide.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow