Started Dec 18, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
veroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,377Gear list
Like?
The K-5 review ....
Dec 18, 2010

Like many others, I've been waiting for this camera to be reviewed here as well by other well-regarded reviewers.

I have only one comment to make: I think it was irresponsible of dpreview to comment on the K-5's current pricing and to suggest that it will drop in coming weeks and months, as did the K-7.

First of all, this is pure speculation. No one can predict the future. It could very well be that demand for the K-5 would have kept pricing just where it is. But now that dpreview has suggested lower pricing is to come, that demand has probably been slowed.

Suggesting that potential buyers of the K-5 should wait until the price drops obviously does a serious disservice to Pentax in terms of [i]immediate[ i] sales. And Pentax DOES need sales if it's to remain vibrant and competitive.

I don't think it's dpreview's place to "interfere" in Pentax's demand levels and thereby get involved in the camera's marketing and sales levels.

To note that the camera costs more than others, ie the Nikon D7000, is a statement of fact and is entirely acceptable in a review. But to go any further ... including suggesting that the camera might be overpriced (which it is not; you get what you pay for) is questionable. This should be a prospective buyer's conclusion, not dpreview's.

I can't help but wonder why the reviewer didn't bother to consider the impact on the K-5's sales when he/she published those statements about the price coming down. Was it an intentional hinderance to those sales? And if the pricing [i]doesn't[ i] come down? Then what?

For the record: I have no connection whatsoever with Pentax or any other camera manufacturer or retailer.

-- hide signature --
 veroman's gear list:veroman's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Olympus E-1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow