How many of you shoot with a 24-XXX with a 1.6 crop sensor?

Started Dec 17, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
scubasteve03
Regular MemberPosts: 457Gear list
Like?
How many of you shoot with a 24-XXX with a 1.6 crop sensor?
Dec 17, 2010

I have been struggling trying to figure out which would be the best lens for me to use as an all purpose walkaround lens for my 60d. Most people seem to suggest the 17-55mm 2.8 for the crop sensor. I rarely shoot anything under 20-25mm on my 60d when going back looking at all of my exif data. Anyhow, I picked the 18-85 and the 24-105L and thought shooting with them both would give me a good idea which lens would be better for me. All it did was make me more confused. I work nights, so I shoot quite a bit of low light photos as well. My best friend let me borrow his 24-70 2.8 so I could see if that would fit me better for my low light photos. It seems that even the 2.8 isn't going to stop my Maltese's action a dimly lit room. So that kind of knocks the 17-55 2.8 out for me especially since I want the longer reach.

Canon used to give the 28-135mm away with it's 1.6x sensor, so I don't understand why everyone is telling me that the 24-XXX is way too long on the wide end. Didn't people make do with just the 28-135mm ok?

I am planning on keeping the 24-105mm unless someone can tell me why it wouldn't be a good idea. I wanted to get an idea of how many people are shooting with a 24mm-XX on crop sensors. Thanks for the help.

scubasteve03's gear list:scubasteve03's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow