Evening glow over Seattle

Started Dec 11, 2010 | Discussions thread
Ray Ritchie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,766
Like?
Re: And still they say...
In reply to TakePictures, Dec 15, 2010

Yes, it was shot at 55mm, f/8, and 1/20 sec. At 55mm, this lens really excels for this kind of shot. My other current thread ("Ecola Point...") shows a good example at 44mm, and I have a shot at 22mm included in this post:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1030&message=37138054

If you look at my past threads, you'll probably see that I have started several on the 17-55 for landscapes. I do think it gets maligned a lot more than is justified. The most realistic view of the lens is probably to think of it as a really good 35mm with a flexible focal length. Its weakest point is definitely the 17mm end, but if you know the lens well you can work around most of the issues. And I use it all the time for landscapes, from 17mm all the way up. One pet peeve of mine is that I think people make too much of an issue of edge-to-edge, near-field to infinity sharpness concerns. My own experience in shooting landscapes is that composition, subject matter and light are the dominant issues, and sharpness, particularly at infinity, is very much a secondary issue. Having said that, though, I do think the 17-55 is plenty sharp for most landscape work, and I still think it's the best general-purpose DX lens available. That's why it's on my D300 something like 75 or 80% of the time.

Thanks for looking, and for the kind comments.

Ray

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow