Displaying Histogram on 60D

Started Dec 14, 2010 | Discussions thread
rdspear
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,240
Like?
Re: Displaying Histogram on 60D
In reply to Sailor Blue, Dec 15, 2010

Sailor Blue wrote:

The histogram on the LCD is based upon a calculated JPG whether you shoot JPG, JPG + RAW, or only RAW. This means that it is "exposure" corrected, thus does not show the true relationship of your image to exposure.

I find it much better to Enable the Highlight Alert and check for blown out highlights with a 4 second image review as a check on Auto Exposure. Once you are sure of the exposure you can ignore the image review and shoot as fast as you want or even turn it off.

The Highlight Alert is also based on teh calculated JPEG so I can't understand why you think it's better than the histogram. At standard setting the alert triggers with 2/3-1 full stop of RAW exposure headroom.

By properly tuning and testing the JPEG parameters (mostly turning them down to 0), I can get the displayed highlight alert/histogram and the actual clipping point within the RAW file to be within 1/3 stop expose in most scenarios that I've tried.

To answer the original question, I don't have my camera in front of my but I seem to recall that I use the INFO button to scroll through the various displays, including histrograms.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow