FX lens for walk about in Quebec City

Started Dec 14, 2010 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
FX lens for walk about in Quebec City
Dec 14, 2010

I've done the searches and would like further input, especially from those who have been to Quebec. I am looking for advice regarding shooting in Old Town and the region thereabout. I'll be there next June and am already thinking about what I will likely bring with my D700. I'm going to be chaperoning bunch of children so I really can't see bringing near as much gear as I would normally prefer to.

Having traveled to NYC, London etc, I know I mostly shoot WA, 18-35. So here are my thoughts:

16-35VR, I suspect most of my shots will be in this focal range. IMO too slow for the people shots I like to do. Though could come in handy in the churches and walking through old town. I could see this as my only lens, maybe with a 50 1.4 for indoors people.

70-300? I don't own one but could borrow one. I suspect there are times I'll want the reach. Knowing my shooting style I'd guess less than 5% of my shots at this length.

Other thoughts:

24-70 as a walk around do most everything. It could probably be my only lens period but would lose some WA that I'd probably like to have. I'd end up wanting a fast prime as well. Which leads to...

Or, more my style:

24 vs 35. Which would be of more use in the city? I'll probably end up with both but I can't start with both. I even considered bringing only the 24 or the 35 and 70-300 (with or without the 16-35).

I'm not interested in an 28-300. Been that route before in 18-200. Just not what I'm looking for.

I guess it comes down to 24-70?

primes: 24 vs 35 in Quebec?

70-300 or leave it home?

vaxn8r's gear list:vaxn8r's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow