Started Dec 14, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
vaxn8r
Regular MemberPosts: 404Gear list
Like?
FX lens for walk about in Quebec City
Dec 14, 2010

I've done the searches and would like further input, especially from those who have been to Quebec. I am looking for advice regarding shooting in Old Town and the region thereabout. I'll be there next June and am already thinking about what I will likely bring with my D700. I'm going to be chaperoning bunch of children so I really can't see bringing near as much gear as I would normally prefer to.

Having traveled to NYC, London etc, I know I mostly shoot WA, 18-35. So here are my thoughts:

16-35VR, I suspect most of my shots will be in this focal range. IMO too slow for the people shots I like to do. Though could come in handy in the churches and walking through old town. I could see this as my only lens, maybe with a 50 1.4 for indoors people.

70-300? I don't own one but could borrow one. I suspect there are times I'll want the reach. Knowing my shooting style I'd guess less than 5% of my shots at this length.

Other thoughts:

24-70 as a walk around do most everything. It could probably be my only lens period but would lose some WA that I'd probably like to have. I'd end up wanting a fast prime as well. Which leads to...

Or, more my style:

24 vs 35. Which would be of more use in the city? I'll probably end up with both but I can't start with both. I even considered bringing only the 24 or the 35 and 70-300 (with or without the 16-35).

I'm not interested in an 28-300. Been that route before in 18-200. Just not what I'm looking for.

I guess it comes down to 24-70?

primes: 24 vs 35 in Quebec?

70-300 or leave it home?

vaxn8r's gear list:vaxn8r's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow