Started Dec 11, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
meeotch
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
camera for old folks / intelligent auto
Dec 11, 2010

When I buy a point-and-shoot camera for myself, I generally set the "full manual controls" search filter, and the selection is narrowed down nicely. This xmas, I decided to find a p&s for my elderly parents... And the number of full auto cameras is simply overwhelming. Help!

What I'd like is a pocketable or near-pocketable compact with:

1. As few buttons and knobs as possible, without the interface being overloaded. So - intuitive interface.
2. Large screen. They probably won't even be downloading their pics often.
3. Reasonably-sized controls for large, shaky hands.
4. Probably image stabilization, for the same reason.
5. Reasonably responsive turn-on, focus, and shoot times.

6. The single most important feature, though, is a one-button smart mode that is actually smart. I've read some good things about Panny's iA (Intelligent Auto) mode. I don't know if the other manufacturers have analogous features, or how they stack up.

The Panny DMC-FH20 seems to get decent ratings elsewhere, but not much info on this site.

Any suggestions are welcome. I need to narrow the field down quite a bit before I can even go down to B&H to put my hands on some actual models. (That place is a zoo around the holidays - going in without a plan is just asking for trouble.)

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow