Back after 12 years... and why I chose a 60D over a 7D

Started Nov 4, 2010 | Discussions thread
skanter
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,775Gear list
Like?
Re: Back after 12 years... and why I chose a 60D over a 7D
In reply to Benny PHOTO_MTL, Dec 10, 2010

I think it pretty much a consensus that 60D owners love the camera.

Despite the complaints about the specs from former XXD users,to set the record straight, IMHO:

1. It's the best DSLR for video on the market. Thousands of independent filmmakers are grabbing these up just for video, with no intention of using the camera for stills.

2. The feel of the camera and build quality is excellent, and magnesium vs polycarbonate is a non-issue, except for those who want a lighter body. Weather-proofing seems to be far ahead of Rebels, perhaps not as air-tight as 7D.

3. The articulating screen is a fantastic, has myriad uses for video and stills, and opens the shooter's creativity tremendously.

4. The ergonomics are fine, albeit take some getting used to.

5. It's AF seems to have been improved over the T2i, although not as advanced as 7D for sports and action shooting.

6. Bang-for-the-buck, a wonderful camera.

Benny PHOTO_MTL wrote:

Thanks for post, nice observations!

Having moved over from the t2i (I'm assuming many have or are thinking of) I've been most impressed by the AF. I was especially interested in the 60D for the build (your observations summed it up quite nicely) and the larger viewfinder.

Having had camera 3 weeks now, I've been more than happy for two reasons. Firstly, being a stills shooter I was kind of indifferent to the articulated screen; now i'm thoroughly addicted to it and have begun using live view more in my shots (not to mention I like the security the cover offers) Secondly the AF is just wicked. T2i users considering 60D: if you loved your t2i you'll marry this one.

Here's the first shot out of box, with a nifty fifty:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/leftimage/5216073824/

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow