Started Dec 10, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PaulM2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,640
Like?
Need advice on a video Card.
Dec 10, 2010

Back last January I built up a barebones computer kit. It has an Intel Core 2 duo processor, 4gb memory, running XP Home SP3.

In todays email, I received an update from "On One Software". I had purchased "Genuine Fractals V6.0 Pro" and this update was to version 7 and it is now called "Perfect Resize 7".

To run this update to the software, your video must support "Open GL 2.0". I am not all that happy with the response I got from ON ONE support.(this is what you get by playing with the big boys?)

My machine has the on-board support for video on the mother board, no separate video card. I run PSE8 and some CAD software. It has run very well with the setup as built.

My expertise is as a Mfg. Engr. (retired). I can follow directions as far as building up a machine, I have a fair idea what all the parts do, been fooling with computers for 30+ years,but I am in no way a expert. Currently the on-board mother board supports the video, but with 4gb memory available and as XP does not see all of it, things in general have been fine.

Now if I decide to do this Video Card addition for the "ON One" Software update, which I am not sure of as yet, as Genuine Fractals has run very well for the little I use it, so it will be a matter of cost of a card vs improvements that the software might do.

Recently I did (4) very nice pictures with the Genuine Fractal software, pictures taken with an old UZI (2.1mp) and had prints made that were 20 x 24 and got rave reviews from all that have seen them, including the printer.

So what is the advice for a card? How much benefit for overall performance with general photo editing if I get a separate video card?

Paul

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow