Started Dec 9, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
iamatrix
Regular MemberPosts: 260
Like?
GF1 - JPEG and RAW are about the same
Dec 9, 2010

One thing that I am confused about is that OOC JPEGs from the GF1 when compared to RAW files processed via Lightroom 3 are pretty much equal with one another. The GF1 OOC JPEGs are almost pixel-level-perfect. I can see some difference in RAW, but the level of detail requires some extreme pixel peeping to appreciate. Color is more or less the same as well. I have been shooting RAW for quite a long time, so I am familiar with the process and benefits, but all the fuss over GF1 JPEGs had me thinking when I purchased the camera that RAW was an absolute must (and it may be for dealing with dynamic range issues), but now I find myself scratching my head wondering what the problem is ?

The irony is the JPEG engine in the GF1 is actually better than the EP1 that I previously owned in terms of detail (though the EP1 dealt with high ISO noise much better and had a bit more dynamic range in the highlights).

I hate to restart a debate, but I need to know (honestly) if others have found the same thing ?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow