They don't make 'em like they used to.. (oldtimer pr0n)

Started Dec 7, 2010 | Discussions thread
Mannypr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,363Gear list
Like?
Re: They don't make 'em like they used to.. (oldtimer pr0n)
In reply to paris1968, Dec 9, 2010

paris1968 wrote:

.... ah memories. I started in the '50s with a Rollei Twin Lens Reflex and 120 film. Later I bought a Canon FTb and a 50mm 1.8 lens. A few years later, I took out a loan and bought a Nikon F2A and a few lenses, including an 80-200mm push pull. Next,I bought a Nikkomat as a walk around camera. Then I took out another loan and bought some 4x5 equipment, including a Toyo 45G and a Toyo 45F field camera. Nikon was just starting to make lenses for 4x5 by that time, and I bought a 300mm lens for the 4x5s, and a Nikon lens for the enlarger (a Bessimer (sp?) with a cold light) appropriate for 4x5 sheet film. Once that loan was paid, I bought a beautiful cherry wood Thacihara 4x5, and some schniders and grandagon lenses.

In 1996, I bought a curious little thing called a digital camera, a Konica Q Mini, and fell in love with digital photography. The Q Mini was a puny 2/3 MP, but someting about digital stole me away from film, and in consequense I put all of the other cameras and lenses into storage. I bought 2MP cameras, then hottest Nikon digital offering, a 3MP Coolpix, next a Sony 707, followed by a KM A2. At last, Nikon got me back with the D200, and all of my glass came out of storage. Now, here I am with the D3x and legacy lenses from the '70s that still fit, and new Nikon and Zeiss glass as well. Somehow, I feel that I've come round in a circle. Maybe it's time to dig out my father Rollei, and find some 120 film, but that's just wistful nostalgia. Nothing I've ever had my hands on beats the D3x with a good lens, of which there are many.

I had an experience much like your own but the other way around. After having been reitred for quite some time from photography knowing that digital photography was all the stir on the scene just to know what was all the talking I went out and bought me a Nikon coolpix P&S camera. Coming from Nikon SLR's I was expecting something great knowing that everybody was talking about it. Bought it, tried it and was greatly dissapointed. Autofocus was a joke. IQ wasn't all that bad though. I sold it and waited to years . Then this time I did my research and ended buying a Canon A640 . This was the camera that finally convince me that digital photography had gotten to a level where I could be happy with it's IQ. I thought if Canon could do this with a P&S who knows what they could do with a full blown DSLR. That's where I started with DSLR.

Mannypr's gear list:Mannypr's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
X100New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow