Started Dec 9, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
thomo
Contributing MemberPosts: 931Gear list
Like?
Dead pixels - evidence backing up my theory
Dec 9, 2010

I've put a few posts on this topic in recent months after having 4 Nikon DSLRs having to have dead/lazy/stuck pixels remapped out at a cost of $50 each camera (in Australia). Two were D80's and two were D90's.

My hypothesis is that the camera sensors are damaged by airport security X-ray machines. Each of the 4 cameras that I had to have remapped had travelled extensively on overseas trips with each camera possibly being X-ray'd 30~40 times.

Having just returned from an overseas trip carrying three D90 bodies and having a brief look at some of the 4,600 images captured, I've noticed more problem pixels! One is on a camera that had only been remapped a couple of months ago. Another is on a body that previously did not have any problem pixels and had never been through an X-ray machine! I have yet to check the images from the third body but I'm prepared to put money on it that it has some damaged pixels.

Given that now many of the hotels now have tight security and X-ray your camera bag every time you enter the hotel, I'm guessing that on this last 20 day trip, the cameras were probably X-ray'd at least 30 times.

Many people have responded to my previous posts saying that they have not experienced the same problems but this record is hard to refute. I've not had any problems with the three bodies (2xD700 & a D7000) that have never been X-ray'd.

I would be keen to hear from others that have had similar issues.

thomo's gear list:thomo's gear list
Nikon Df +10 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow