ccd sensor replacement d40

Started Dec 8, 2010 | Discussions thread
binary_eye
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,290
Like?
Re: ccd sensor replacement d40
In reply to wsyaeger, Dec 8, 2010

wsyaeger wrote:

As a gift, about a year and a half ago, I received the Nikon D40. Within the last couple of months I have noticed a bright red dot and red line coming from the dot through the rest of the image. After doing some research, I realize that this is a dead pixel.

A line across your images is not a hot pixel. Have you tried using a different SD card? Are you shooting JPEG or raw?

I was hoping the sensor could simply be remapped but I was told by a Nikon authorized repair station that the sensor would need to be replaced, which would cost a total of $268.

You could likely find a used D40 in good condition for the same amount.

Because of the timing and (in my opinion) excessive repair costs, I began looking into the idea of replacing the sensor myself, provided that I could find a new one at a reasonable price, which I did.

Honestly, if timing is an issue, you'd be better of buying a new/used camera. You can always sell it after your baby is born. The bottom line is you don't want to be without a camera for that event.

Also, a sensor is more than a sensor. What did you find at a reasonable price? The sensor itself, including the AA filter, etc.? And I have to wonder what a reasonable price is, here, considering the cost of an entire second-hand D40.

Does anyone know how feasible it is for a newbie to replace a sensor?

Without having ever done so but having some idea of the complexity, I would guess it's not feasible at all.

Additionally, as I'm thinking about the possibilities, my mind begins to wonder (assuming I can replace the sensor), can I install the D40x sensor instead to achieve a camera capable of taking 10MP pictures as opposed to the original D40's 6MP.

Again, the sensor is not only the sensor. The electronics that process the sensor output are specific to the sensor. Unless you were to somehow replace it all, I very much doubt this would work.

In general, this is a consumable electronic device, not a mechanical camera of yesteryear which can be repaired easily with the correct knowledge and patience.

At this point you may be thinking, "with those ideas, this guy's got no business going near any camera with a screwdriver."

Well, yes, to a degree. My recommendation would be to scrap the idea of fixing it yourself and put the money toward a new/used camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow