Bringing a Camera in From the Cold (Condensation)

Started Dec 8, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
steve88
Contributing MemberPosts: 895Gear list
Like?
Bringing a Camera in From the Cold (Condensation)
Dec 8, 2010

Hello:

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb to live by when it comes to this? How long should you keep your camera/lens in a zip-loc bag after coming in from the cold? Is there a general rule?

I guess it all depends on how cold it was outside and how long you were in it. Let's say I'm outdoors in 40 degrees for 2 hours. Would 2 hours in a zip-loc bag indoors be sufficient?

I guess to be safe I could just pop the CF card out real quick and leave the camera/lens in a bag overnight since I'd really only be working with the images from the card once I got home and wouldn't have a need to work with the camera. Overnight is probably unnecessary, though.

Thanks for any suggestions from those with experience. I'm getting back into photography after being away from it for awhile and plan to carry my camera with me everywhere but don't want any issues with condensation.

steve88's gear list:steve88's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow