Started Dec 8, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 10,233Gear list
Like?
Money from my photography?
Dec 8, 2010

After 21 years with essentially the same company (not photography related) I find myself unemployed. So, maybe now is the time to try and make a little money from my hobby - in my field and at my level, it could take me over 6 months to find a job, and it would be nice to have a little income during that time (especially with $1800 a month for health insurance).

I'm trying to decide where to put my effort. I have lots of photos that people have said I should sell, but most would need some clean up before I would make that attempt (I have the time). I've also found that I'm quite good at covering events, such as plays, family gatherings, presentations, and have even shot a couple of weddings for friends and family. At my work, I've done a lot of technical photography on the side, shooting components of engineering prototypes to document the work or for use in training and service manuals - while I don't have any such shots to show (company property) I could easily create similar ones from household items for a portfolio.

If I am going to try and sell prints, I could try posting them on my Smugmug Pro site (that I haven't touched for years), which is relatively cheap, or spend the money to frame them and try and find a venue for a show.

So, any of you have any suggestions? (I'm not trying for a career change, making a living from photography, just some way of bringing in some cash until I find a real job.)

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman

Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
http://www.pbase.com/jeffp25
http://www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow