Started Dec 8, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DaveJC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,754Gear list
Like?
Swore I wouldn't but just ordered E-5
Dec 8, 2010

I know, I know, it is a dead end system, it is big and heavy unlike the not yet available GH2 but I have all that HG glass and the thought of selling them off was too great to bear.

The Imaging Resources comparitor was very convincing but push come to shove, it was that no single forum member who bought one regreted the decision. Each and every one of you stated that it did run rings around your older gear and most importantly, you were pleased with the decision. Unlike the Nikon forum were every third D7000 purchaser is disapointed with something about the camera, there seems to be none of that here except for the price and 12 Mpixels which everyone knew about up front.

My other reason is that I have made some beautiful 16 x 20 prints from both my 10 and 12 Mpixel bodies so I know 12 is plenty for me. I liked the idea of 16 Mpixels coming in the Gh2 for landscapes but truth be told, when you nail a shot, it needs ever so little cropping and PP. With everything I have heard from both you and the numerous reviewers, I would have the best 12 Mpixels I could get. Since I already own the mFT 7-14, I will probably get the GH2 anyway. I tried this ealier with my Lowa Slingshot 200, it carried my E-3 with 50-200, 12-60 and the GF1 with 7-14 attached all quite comfortable.

I know, well at least I hope, that those Oly engineers are hard at work coming up with the HG line of mFT gear but that is stills years away. In the mean time, I will have a very nice Pro setup along with my growing mFT gear. I just know if I go on the raptor shoot in January, I will quite releaved that it is the E-5 I have in hand rather than the E-3 or E=520 or Gh2 or whatever.

So still need to sell off some bodies and misc gear that I never use, FL50 since getting the R version and the VC 40 1.4. I just can't do full MF anymore. Throw in my Christmas bonus and it is covered.

I know someday all the Oly gear will be blown away by the latest and greatest offered by somebody but that day will not be here for years. When it does come, not only will the Oly gear be relegated to the ash heap but so will everything in the stores today. We will all just use our 3D iPhones and complain about the inconviences of only 60 frames a second. Since I used my Canon D60 for years at 6 Mpixels and then the Oly E-1 at 5 for a few more, I think I can survive the next bunch of years on 12.

Well that is enough self justification for one night. I started with the decision of the E-5 or the GH2 well before either was released and it seems I will have both. Not bad combo to my way of thinking.
-
DaveJC

DaveJC's gear list:DaveJC's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow