D3100 samples good but not that good.

Started Oct 13, 2010 | Discussions thread
Neodp
Regular MemberPosts: 226
Like?
Re: D3100 samples good but not that good.
In reply to Neodp, Dec 7, 2010

Keeping it real; if you can give the D40 slightly more telephoto, then the difference at ISO 400 (and below), even on the D700 (full frame sensor), is practically identical. The difference at ISO 800, is slightly better, D700 ISO 1600, slightly better than that (best real world, instant JPEG OOC). It is mainly, that one can do ISO 3200, and 6400 with passable results; that gives the D700 the sensor advantage. With the cost of "FF" lenses, too.

The D7000 is ever so slightly worse (sensor) than the D700, and practically the same as the D3100.

There's a much bigger jump in quality(noise, detail, color), below D40 cameras, than above it (M4/3rd getting close, but no cigar). As I said, at least to ISO 1600, and given just a slight bit more telephoto, to accommodate the 6Mpx sensor. Then factor the lower costs, and there you go. D40, is the best value.

It's clear to me, Nikon is showing they can match, and slight beat the D40, for the first time, and at 14Mpx (which is good, in this case). That leads me to believe, they could have gone farther, and choose not, to do it. It would not due, to shame the D700 buyers, after all.

What's lacking, is a more compact size (mirror-less), real, live-view and video without "jello"(and lenses); OVER, the low noise quality, of the GF1 (or GH2). Without the poor(er) colors and DR, of those current M4/3rds. Maybe they can't yet put all that together, for sale. I'd think Nikon would want to beat Canon, there; wouldn't you?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow