Started Dec 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ThomasH_always
Regular MemberPosts: 287Gear list
Like?
About memory cards in the 645D... Re: Just Posted: Pentax 645D sample images
Dec 6, 2010

The images look splendid. However, I wanted to share here a different, generic observation about the design of this Pentax:

It is stunning to see that even a large MF body uses SD cards, not the CF card so common in all top-DSLR models! I wonder if this trend, which we also see in other mainstream "semi pro" models from Pentax, Nikon or Canon, means that the CF cards are slowly to lose their stand against the smaller SD cards , which are smaller in size, have simpler (safer) connectors and a mechanical read protect switch.

The SD readers seem to be omnipresent: most PC's, Laptops, Netbooks, GPS devices, and of course, a majority of cameras. Of course we know that top speeds on CF cards top these of SD cards, however in many existing bodies using both kinds (Canon, Nikon) the speed of SD card operation is comparable. The bottleneck is the camera itself, as it seems.

Clearly the socket for CF cards is more expensive, and having the plethora of pins, prone to mechanical damage. I have has such issue in my Jobo picture wallet, and in the FlashPac Wolverine as well. I used tweezers to straighten a bend pin more than once. The SD card socket solution is clearly superior.

Any thoughts on that?

Thomas

ThomasH_always's gear list:ThomasH_always's gear list
Leica V-Lux 3 Canon EOS 6D
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow