Afordable good lens for mostly indoor cat photos?

Started Nov 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
mackitten
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?
Re: Some different advice.
In reply to M Jesper, Dec 6, 2010

Hi Jesper

M Jesper wrote:

Hi,

I haven't read all the post in here but i would ask what you actually expect different? I see everyone happily recommending lenses as always in these forums (this is a equipment site after all), but i really don't think that is going to do any good. In fact out of all lenses available in the world the 50/1.8 is actually the most capable of doing the job you're asking for. And you have it already. The only problem with the second shot is that the shutter speed is too slow as was mentioned. No other lens is going to fix that. All you'd get is a different angle of view, or the option to get closer.

aside from having to practice more, I was looking for better focusing control and also to be able to take closer pictures of my cats - sometimes I am right there with them and I want to get their head in the entire frame or even and eye but I cant focus that close

Photography is literally the capturing of light. So you can imagine it to be a little troublesome when there is almost no light to capture. You already have the most capable lens for low light conditions, i can not stress this enough, no other lens is going to do better. All you could have done for the bottom photo to turn out right is to raise the sensitivity of your camera as a whole. Meaning a higher ISO. About ISO400 for a scene so dim, and the shutter speed would be quick enough not to blur anymore. Shutter speeds need to be at least 1/200 with moving subjects. That are just some things you need to learn when using SLRs.

Normally i would say get a faster lens, meaning a bigger maximum aperture, meaning a bigger hole, meaning more light coming in and less time needed to expose it, meaning shorter/faster shutter speeds, but you have the biggest usable aperture available already. Which is F1.8. So again all you can do if that's not enough is raise the ISO, and don't expect too much in darkness.

If you don't like the angle of view, or you can't get close enough. Then think about a different lens. And if you really have to shoot in such dim light all the time you'd benefit from of the new EOS's that perform better with such high ISO values like ISO400 to ISO1600 without too much noise. They have improved a lot in that aspect after the 300D, and after my 400D too.

Yup thanks

thinking of saving up for a T2i and possibly for more indoor close up a 35 f/2 -

Well i hope i make sense at all.

mackitten wrote:

This first one I thought came out nice and clear and sharp but also wasn't thought out well compositionally and lacking much DoF (I think I am correct here?)

this one though is not clear

not sure what was different besides one being outside and the second inside

thanks for all this advice

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow