Started Dec 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Renttub Labs
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Problem with battery short
Dec 6, 2010

I recently bought a first generation EOS 1D. It was super clean with low shutter count and I got it for $420 from a retiring professional. Recently, it started turning off on its own. If I removed the battery and slid it back into place it was okay again (for a while) and would suddenly turn off again. Thinking it could be something to do with an after market battery I bought (original wouldn't hold much of a charge) I decided to replace it with the original and had no additional failures. I've always struggled to get the after market battery to latch in correctly unlike the original which latched easily. So, I bought another after market battery. It did the same thing with a similar struggle to latch it. Now the original battery is doing the same as the newer batteries and shutting off on its own. If I nudge it, the camera will power back up only to turn back off after I release the nudge pressure. Doesn't this sound like a short to you guys? I was thinking that the connection tension ribbons at the far inside that connect to my batteries may have lost tension or may have become distorted from struggling with the after market latching. Send it in to an authorized canon repair facility? Pull the tension ribbons out a little using extended needle nose pliers? Has anybody else in this forum had or heard of this issue before? I love this old brick and want to keep shooting it but its reliability has waned dramatically since this problem started and am not sure what to do next, so I did nothing but this post in hopes that one or more of my peers would have suggestions, experience, or ideas. Thank you each in advance for your kind responses.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow