Could a 1Ds4 match the resolution of the new Pentax 645D?

Started Dec 5, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SDRebel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,489
Like?
Could a 1Ds4 match the resolution of the new Pentax 645D?
Dec 5, 2010

You might want to go to this review and download one or more of the test shots: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/645D/645DA.HTM

Then download the resolution of a comparable test shot for the 1D4. Of course, like my 1Ds3, the resolution Canon achieves, for what I do, is fabulous.

But, as the review of the Pentax 645D states, the increased resolution of this new camera starts to make you wonder just how much Canon can improve things with a new 1Ds4.

Canon has several problems with bringing out the 1Ds4. First, Canon has to best Nikon by a substantial amount. There is no question that Nikon has caught up and may be the leader for 35mm.

Second, Canon has to justify, even to those of us committed via our collection of Canon lenses, that there is good reason to trade up at the price that one assumes Canon would sell a new 1Ds4.

Does anyone know if there is any technical reason that Canon would be unable to increase the performance of a new 1Ds4 to at least match the resolution and dynamic range of the Pentax 645D?

That is, do the physics dictate that Canon and Nikon have already reached some sort of limit constraining 35mm chips? Or, is there new technology or can Canon go the Kodak CCD route?

I'm not seeking comments on Canon's timing or marketing strategy. Rather, I would enjoy knowing what the technical problems are?

On the other hand, I have always enjoyed responses to past questions even if totally off the wall. So, I look forward to hearing from you all.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow