Thinking of adding FF camera. Your thoughts?

Started Nov 24, 2010 | Discussions thread
Melbourne Park
Senior MemberPosts: 2,408Gear list
Like?
Re: Are you serious?
In reply to Sam Bennett, Dec 5, 2010

Sam Bennett wrote:

fermy wrote:

Sam Bennett wrote:

Umm... I don't know what digital cameras you've owned in the last few years, but I can think of many that have much better quality than what's offered by "MFT". The sensor used in most MFT cameras gives us quality that many dSLRs provided about 5 years ago.

Many? LOL. Care to mention them, along with the price?

The GF1 provides performance about on par with my recollection of the 20D's performance. So... 20D, XT, XTi, etc. I didn't move over to Nikon until a couple years ago so I can't really comment directly on the D80, but my recollection is high ISO-wise it wasn't quite up to snuff.

-- hide signature --

Of course, sensors are but part of the deal. As to me, the last camera I bought was a 5DmkII.

However, if one goes back a few years, Oly looked better then, than now. How come? Because the sensor performance hasn't changed in years IMO. Hence the E-3's sensor performance, hasn't been beaten by any Panasonic or Olympus since ... with the exception of the GH1, and now the GH2. Meanwhile, the competition has been improving.

I presume that Oly has instead, been making money. Which mFT has provided for them a lower cost camera to make, and yet they've been selling them for higher than entry DSLR prices.

They've been getting good photos in 80% of usage too I reckon. Because the glass is pretty good, compared to most entry DSLRs.

Sure the pixels are down a bit, and the ISO is down even more. But for most that hasn't been a hindrance. There's more to a good photograph than a top sensor.

However, its a bummer for Oly mFT people, that Oly are being starved of a good sensor. Hopefully that will change next year. Probably at the time that Canon announce a smaller camera for their lens mount, and that Nikon announce a non reflex micro changeable lens camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow