Started Dec 3, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
robertophoto
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?
G11/12- the old raw versus jpeg question
Dec 3, 2010

I am writing to ask whether others have the same opinion as I about why to use raw on these cameras.

Conceding that the jpegs are very very good and offer in-camera adjustments that would require more post-processing work in raw, I shoot in raw because with every image, if I compare the raw version with the jpeg, I see more detail and more local contrast in a default raw development. I have used DPP and Lightroom, and find that with As-Shot white balance and mild sharpening, the raw files come out with more resolution and fine detail. Could this be because the jpegs that come with raw are not the highest grade, such as the superfine available with the CHDK?

I know all about getting greater exposure latitude and rescuing more shots if one works from raw. But my style is to try for the right exposure in camera, and to be willing to throw away the duds rather than work them over a lot.

Tell me I am wrong! I would gladly avoid the post-processing involved in raw development, and do my typically minimal adjustments on jpeg originals if it weren't for this perception of mine.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow