Why can't they make a FF body the size of Rollei 35 ?

Started Dec 3, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MysticX
Regular MemberPosts: 460
Like?
Why can't they make a FF body the size of Rollei 35 ?
Dec 3, 2010

I'm not a professional photographer, I just take pictures for fun and personal pleasure.

But I like the quality of my 5D and prime lenses and I just know it's hard to live without it.

Lately I've got a Rollei 35B for $30 and I had a revelation. It's so small and light, like 350g, it fits in any pocket, and uses 35mm film. It has a manual 40mm f/3.5 lens. When the light is good enough it can take very good pictures.

But it's not digital, and digital means raw, and raw means fun and creation potential in post processing, especially on FF sensors.

All I can say is, if they make it, I would definitely buy a mini FF camera that has:

FF 5-10mp sensor (many mp are not needed, lower is better)

fixed 30 or 35 or 45 mm lens f/2.8 non-interchangeable pancake (alternatively they can keep the EF mount but design a true pancake)

liveview

can manual focus with scale/live assist (AF is optional but not absolutely required)

no heavier than 400g with batteries

no bigger than 12cmx8cmx5cm, I mean pocketable

and, under $1500 price

Apparently, the big manufacturers don't show any sign of taking such an initiative, probably they say there's not market for that but I believe there are many that would buy even a let's say downgraded leica M9 if it existed and was $1500.

Am I wrong or what ?

(please don't bother writing about apsc and 4/3 semi hybrids)
--
Click Click ....

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow