Started Dec 3, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
archaiesteron
Forum MemberPosts: 92Gear list
Like?
Concerning DP1 (or DP1s and DP1x)
Dec 3, 2010

Hi, I already own an Olympus DSLR, and I am interested by the DP1 (and following versions) for two reasons. I read about the poor quality of the Jpeg, thus I have to make clear that I only work with RAW pictures and that I am ready to spend some time on the pictures.

First I am very curious of the Foveon sensor. Of course I read some messages posted here of people saying the images are "outstanding". BUT I also read some reviews of this camera where it was said that pictures were rather poor compared to any 5Mp picture made from any new 10/12Mp pixel with Bayer matrix. Explanations were about poor sensitivity (which of course should become even poorer at higher ISO). I have to say concerning this issue that I am rather on the 5Mp "side" (myself and several of my friends) but I would like to know if the sensor is good or not, since I could read both statements.

Second, I like single-focus-wide-angles. With my E420 Olympus, I have a great crop factor (x2). Below is what I can get with a Belomo Peleng after defishing (I cropped the largest available rectangle once defished). I don't know exactly what is my angle-of view with such a process, but could you tell me after a quick glance at this picture if I could reach something equivalent with DP1? Regards.

archaiesteron's gear list:archaiesteron's gear list
Sigma DP1x Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus E-420
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow