Started Dec 3, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Looleylaylow
Regular MemberPosts: 285Gear list
Like?
Seriously: D7000 focus issues
Dec 3, 2010

Lots of activity--lots--on this forum about focusing issues on the D7000. I've been watching carefully as I am on my second D7000 body and I continue to experience focus issues. I've learned a lot about focus over the last couple of weeks. Initially I took some comfort in the fact that while my D7000 took soft pics with phase detect AF (through the viewfinder), shots taken with contrast detect AF (via live view) were razor sharp. This was comforting because I assumed this to be confirmation that the problem was in the body, not the lenses.

After a bit more reading, however, I've learned that contrast detect AF is generally more accurate (though obviously slower) because it doesn't rely on calibration between lens and body. While micro AF adjust might seem the solution to the calibration issue, it's not that simple, especially with zoom lenses which behave differently at different focal length. So it seems to me now that these are the possiblities:

1. The D7000 has an AF flaw.

2. All phase detect systems are flawed unless perfectly calibrated and the only reason the D7000 appears problematic is that it's new and new owners are scrutinizing it super closely, doing AF tests they haven't done on their older bodies.

So I guess my next step is to mount all of my lenses on my old D80 body and find out just how sharp its output has actually been. And if it turns out that the both bodies are taking soft shots... I don't know. Micro Four Thirds?

Anyway, I've learned a lot recently, as I said. I'd be interested in any other observations.

Looleylaylow's gear list:Looleylaylow's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow