ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Close Hauled
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Unable to match images on screen to prints
Dec 2, 2010

Can anyone please help.

I purchased a Toshiba P300 Satellite Pro Laptop with a ATI Mobilility Radeon HD3470 Graphics Card running with Windows 7 Pro and Adobe Photoshop CS4, to carry out my photo editing. My first set of prints came out over saturated and very dark and so I tried to read up on colour spaces, monitor profiling and work flow. After reading so much conflicting information and many paracetamols later I purchased a Huey Pro monitor calibrator and replaced the aging CRT monitor on my desktop with an Acer H233HQ 1080p LCD Monitor. Having been told that the problem was the unsuitability of laptop monitors for colour work, I use the monitor hooked up as an alternative display for my laptop. Suprisingly, the images all looked ok (and broadly the same) on the laptop, the CRT and the LCD screens, so I contacted the photo lab for help.

It was suggested that I change my workflow, set all of my graphics settings to the factory defaults, clear out all profiles and try a further set of prints. This gave a marginally improved print but they still have a yellow colour cast, look too warm and dark. I know that LCD’s will always have a brighter backlit image, but I cannot get the colours right. My monitor is set to a Gamma of 2.4 and a temperature of D50. No matter what I do, the image on the screen is not as warm or yellow nor as dark as the print.

The photo is saved as raw with an SRGB profile on the camera. I open the image, edit it and save as a JPG with an SRGB Profile at 300dpi. A duplicate of the print is converted to the printers Fuji profile, saved and sent to the printers. There is seldom a significant change in how the image appears. I have tried an alternative printer who asks for files in an SRGB profile and they all look pretty much the same.

I recently found there was a problem with the batch of Huey Pro’s that I bought and have had it replaced by Pantone. The Huey software says my monitor is profiled, but in truth when the monitor has been profiled using the Huey Pro the colours on the screen look warmer and more pleasing (accurate?) than the unprofiled monitor but still no where as warm nor as dark as the prints I am getting.

Where am I going wrong. I just can’t seem to get rid of this colour cast and a get reasonable (workable!!!) match in brightness.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow