Metering seems erratic with G1 and 20 1.7 -- is this normal?

Started Dec 2, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
phototransformations
Senior MemberPosts: 2,802Gear list
Like?
Metering seems erratic with G1 and 20 1.7 -- is this normal?
Dec 2, 2010

Just received my Panasonic 20mm 1.7 lens and am finding that the metering on my G1, with this lens on the camera, is somewhat erratic when compared to metering with my other two Panasonic lenses.

When I shoot with my 14-45 or 45-200, what I see through the EVF or on the LCD and what I get on the LCD after taking a shot are essentially the same (unless I am shooting in very low light). When I shoot with the 20 1.7, sometimes what I see is what I get, and sometimes it underexposes by 1/2 to a full stop. This happens whether I'm shooting wide open or with the lens stopped down. In my brief testing so far it seems to depend on the subject. When a darker object is in the lower part of the screen, it underexposes. The 14-45, when set to about 20mm, does not behave this way with the same subject matter and framing.

Most of my shots have been with matrix metering and I have set the focus area to the smallest square. I did shot a few shots with center weighted and noticed the same discrepancy between the 20 1.7 and the 14-45.

What I would like to know is whether this is typical 20 1.7 lens behavior, or whether it appears to be atypical and, therefore, an indication of a defective lens.

The lens is also rather noisy when focusing when compared to the other lenses. My recollection is that this is normal, but if anyone can confirm I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advaince for your feedback!

phototransformations's gear list:phototransformations's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +23 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yeahNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow