Started Dec 1, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TOR8472
Senior MemberPosts: 1,544Gear list
Like?
D7000 - external microphone
Dec 1, 2010

Anyone have experience using an external microphone with the D7000? I just bought one and I can't tell whether it is working. Troubleshooting is difficult as I don't know whether it is the microphone or the body. I've read both manuals thoroughly and tried every combination of settings (and confirmed battery, etc.)

My issue is that it seems to not be working because it is no different than the internal microphone. I guess my question is, can anyone using an external microphone comment on sound quality improvement and elimination of autofocus motor noise? As I bought a Sennheisser ultra compact shotgun mic recommended by B&H ($200), I expect it to capture sound better than than the internal microphone. I can still hear the autofocus noise and the sound is no better.

Should an external mic plugged into the camera body disable the internal mic and give me no sound if the mic isn't working? I called Nikon and they weren't able to help me.

I'll take it to the local camera shop I bought my D7000 from to test the microphone with a D300S this weekend, but was hoping for any comments in advance regarding sound improvement with an external microphone. Thanks.

TOR8472's gear list:TOR8472's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow