Started Dec 1, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tuttle Okie
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
Now thoroughly confused with D90 metering and SB600
Dec 1, 2010

I thought I was starting to get a grasp on my new SB600, then tried shooting a famliy portrait at Thanksgiving and failed miserably. (Shot raw though since I knew I was a noob, so I was able to recover some of the shots)

I tried something tonight and was very confused by what happened. Without the SB600 attahced, the camera was set to Manual mode, matrix metering. I took a read off the scene with the camera's meter and dialed in a 1.6" and f/8 combination that was what the camera identifed as correctly exposed via the meter in the viewfinder.

I then attached the SB600 (turned it on, TTL mode) and metered the scene again. It gave the same exposure reading as it did without the flash.

I guess somewhere I thought the camera and flash would communicate and allow to me compensate for the additional light from the flash by increasing the shutter speed or decreasing the aperature.

It is obvious to me now that I know absolutely nothing about shooting / metering with this thing and when I search this forum, I don't see anything specifically related to the question I am asking. I also spent some time in the SB600 manual tonight and couldn't answer my question there, although I am beginning to question my ability to comprehend English.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow