Help! Is this a printer issue or color management issue?

Started Dec 1, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Backdoctor
Forum ProPosts: 13,902
Like?
Help! Is this a printer issue or color management issue?
Dec 1, 2010

Last year I bought a new monitor. A Dell 2209WA and had some issue with color management. I could not get a decent calibration using the Gretag Macbeth unit I had used many times before. With help here I was able to print what showed up on the screen.

Recently I updated my computer to a new Dell 8100, nice fast machine. I installed all the programs and all worked well until I had to print something today. Things look fine on the monitor but when printed it was much darker overall, the colors were not bright. It looked like the brightness or gamma was too low.

I tried printing with and without color management, in Qimage and directly with PSCS4. Nada... crap!

I took the file to a local Walgreen store and simply uploaded and used their printer and it came out just like the monitor, looking perfect. So if this were a color management issue, wouldnt the processing be off? This file was processed on the new machine, and it looked fine in all programs, yet printed out crappy on my Epson R2400 printer. I would think if color management was the issue, it would print crappy everywhere?

So once again, I need help from the collective intelligence here...

I realize I do need to calibrate but if the calibration was THAT far off it wouldnt print and look like the what i pp'd on the monitor would it?
--
Harris

PBase/DPReview/NTF supporter
Egret Stalker #4, WSSA #29

http://www.pbase.com/backdoctor

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow