ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rigid
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
7D Pictures not pin sharp
Nov 30, 2010

Hi Guys,

I have never been very content with the 7D sharpness and I was wondering if maybe I am expecting too much? Or is my camera or lens is faulty.

I have tested to see if there's a back or front focus problem using the 45 angle on focus-test-chart (focustestchart.com). Using the EF-S 17-55mm 2.8 lens. The lens adjusted to the longest focal range of 55mm, put a tripod, remotely triggered at 45 angle just as described in the doc on the focus chart. I have used aperature 2.8 and speed about 1/125 on a tripod

Indeed I don't think there's not front or back focus problem, as the sharpest focal point is indeed right in the middle. However I think that even at the center where it says : "This test should be perfectly in focus" while this seems like the sharpest point in the chart it is still considerably blurred. Maybe due to excessive chromatic aberratio, I don't know. I just don't think a camera like the 7D with this lens which received praises on any review I read about it, yet the pictures are not super sharp.

I also tested the chart on my new 70-200 2.8L Mark II (at Focal length of 200) which should be some of the sharpest lenses Canon has ever made, and while the test chart looks much sharper than the EF-S 17-55 does, it is still not incredibly sharp.

Can some expert please tell me what they think about it?

Thanks a lot!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow