Started Nov 28, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ozonation
Contributing MemberPosts: 505
Like?
Alternatives to a rangefinder camara
Nov 28, 2010

We were thinking of replacing my wife's aging Nikon D40 with the newer D3100, but I was thinking if that was the best move. I'm the die hard photo nut: she cares for a simpler, more portable camera that is easy and functional to use.

I have a whole range of Nikon lens, so a D3100 would make a lot of sense, but she doesn't shoot regularly, and she finds the 28 to 105 mm range pretty much all she needs. She is familiar with basic camera controls, and she rather not have one of those really tiny, compact cameras that are hard to hold. I remember when we used to have the Canon G7 she wasn't enamoured with it but used it fairly regularly: it had enough heft to it, decent controls, rather elegant looking. I have a Panasonic GF1 that she doesn't mind using, but she rather look through a good viewfinder than use the LCD.

It occured to me that she might like a range finder camera, but we'd be hard pressed to justify spending over $6K on a Leica that will see relatively light use. I looked up Epson's R-D1 but good luck finding one, and Epson doesn't seem to have updated the sensor in its last go around (R-D1x). So, there seem to be few options in terms of rangefinder cameras.

Does anybody have any suggestions on compact cameras or other cameras that might approximate a rangefinder camera, even if it isn't exactly a rangefinder? Or any other cameras that come to mind?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow