Best all around lens(s) for D700

Started Nov 20, 2010 | Discussions thread
Kabe Luna
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,335Gear list
Like?
Re: Best all around lens(s) for D700
In reply to Annie M, Nov 28, 2010

I do more than 90% of my work with the 28-105/3.5-4.5D (which at about $250 used is the best value in a Nikon walkaround lens hands down - it has a useful macro mode and terrific image quality to boot), 50/1.4 and 85/1.8. I just picked up a MF 135/2.8 for those rare times when I need more compression than I can get from the 85mm, but I can't imagine needing it much.

The f/2.8 zooms are optically superb, to be sure, but stopped down they don't have an appreciable advantage over less expensive AF-D primes or consumer zooms, so consider instead their weight and bulk and the impact that has on your trekking. Personally, I prefer a lighter weight, more compact kit.

Annie M wrote:

Hi, can anyone suggest some good all around lens or lenses for the D700? I am getting ready to buy a D700 but I don't know which lenses will give me the biggest bang for my buck. My main interest is landscape and night photography. Are any of the non Nikon lenses any good, if so which brands? Thanks for any help you can give.

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow