Started Nov 27, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Photonhunter
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
India trip, 3 lens lineup (again...)
Nov 27, 2010

Hi. I am in seek of a little help regarding travel equipment. Sorry if this is just another "what lens to bring with me" thread. I am going in a 4 to 6 months trip to India in a couple months. Although photography will be an important part of my trip, I do NOT shoot for a living. I will be traveling ALONE and in a BUDGET, so weight and bulk are indeed a consideration. I plan to shoot the obvious: people, culture, architecture...

I currently own a Canon 5D MKII that I want to pair with a THREE lens setup: two zooms and a fast prime. I also want to bring along my 13" MacBookPro and backup devices (apart from all the other personal stuff that I will have to carry and that I want to keep to a minimum), so I am afraid no more than 3 lenses will make it to my bag. The lenses I am considering are as follow:

1- WIDE END: Canon 24-70 f/2.8L OR 24-105 f/4L IS . I am torn. I know this is a classic. I understand the benefits of IS and the longer reach of the 24-105, but I owned the 24-70 and LOVED it, and the extra stop may be of great use indoors... I don´t think I will need any wider, although I understand a wider lens may be handy at times. A trip of this nature requires some compromises...

2- LONG END I am pretty much settled for the Canon 70-200 f/4 L IS. the f/2.8 IS is out of my budget right now and as stated before the bulk and weight are a key point. I would love to have longer reach but something´s gotta give...Maybe and ONLY maybe a 1.4 TC?? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

3- FAST PRIME: Canon 35 f/1.4L OR Canon 50 f/1.2 L. I currently own the 50L and love the thing, but I am concerned that the lens may be too long for interiors and tight gatherings where the 35 would excel. On the other hand, it is slightly faster and gives greater control over depth of field. 35L better for enviromental portraits, 50L better for tighter portraits. This is a really hard one for me, Can´t make up my mind...

I will appreciate thoughts and recommendations regarding my suggested lineup. I would also appreciate any ideas regarding accessories, and useful stuff in general that according to your experience may be of need/help. Any bag recommendations will be of great help as well.

Looking forward to your input, I thank you all in advance for all the kind help.

Best,

Erik.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow