Thinking of adding FF camera. Your thoughts?

Started Nov 24, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SLOtographer
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,913Gear list
Like?
Thinking of adding FF camera. Your thoughts?
Nov 24, 2010

Hi all,

I've been considering adding a larger format camera (FF) to my m43 system. I'm interested to see how others mix and match different systems to suit their needs.

My personal reasons for thinking about adding FF are:
(1) Portraiture/people (but not event photography)
(2) Greater subject isolation control
(3) I shoot almost always in available light (high ISO might help, but not sure)
(4) OVF allows capturing fleeting expressions more easily

Now the reality check is that I'm not a pro nor do I intend to be. If I miss a shot, no one goes hungry. I have a fulfilling career that pays the bills, and I do photography as a hobby, which I am enjoying more and more. I have a young child, relatives with young children, friends with young children, ... I've become the kids portrait/documentary person in my circle. It is highly meaningful to attempt to produce lasting images. In my non-active photography time I do things like study Richard Avedon, Galen Rowell, Jane Brown, etc.

My current gear for people shots is a two lens setup with the G1 (20mm, PL45/45-200mm). I throw in a 9-18 for travel. It works fine for most of what I do. I love the size, EVF (most of the time), and articulating screen. It's a very light and discrete kit. Where I find that my current kit is not ideal as a tool is subject isolation control, speed, and low-light.

Having said all that, I have never owned a FF DSLR. What I can't evaluate well is what one practically gains by adding FF gear. Specifically what does one gain with a D700/5D mkII with 35mm f2 and 85 f1.8? (I'll also note that I'm not asking whether it is economically worth it. That's clearly personal.)

Thoughts, rambles, personal stories about how you use your gear are welcome.

Cheers, happy shooting, and Happy Thanksgiving!
SLO

-- hide signature --

SLOtographer
Panasonic G1, LX5

SLOtographer's gear list:SLOtographer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow