Long lens for wedding photography

Started Nov 20, 2010 | Discussions thread
bardphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 116
Like?
Re: Can you rent the 70-200?
In reply to Pat1954, Nov 24, 2010

That's kind of confusing but the more I think about it the more I think i understand - thanks for the clarification.

Pat1954 wrote:

bardphoto wrote:

Well, it really depends on what you are shooting. The 17-55 is a DX lens so what you see is what you get with the D50/D7000. But the 24-70 will become a 36-105 because it's not a DX lens. So, if you need wide angle, the 24-70 might be a problem. But, all things being equal, as a portrait photographer I'd rather have the 24-70.

Are you suggesting that the 17-55 f2.8 being a dx lens is immune to the reduced field of view of smaller sensors (crop factor)? If so, this is incorrect. Focal length is a function of lens design, not sensor design, the 17-55 on a D90 or D300 or D7000 will have an effective field of view similar to a 25.5-82.5 mm on a full frame camera. The 'DX' means it will only completely illuminate a 'crop sensor' in it's entire range. (It's circle of illumination is smaller, which is not a result of focal length).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow