Sigma 50 1.4 or Canon 50 1.2L for People/Fashion?

Started Nov 22, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
andrewsn00
Regular MemberPosts: 240
Like?
Sigma 50 1.4 or Canon 50 1.2L for People/Fashion?
Nov 22, 2010

Hey,

So I currently own the 50 1.4 lens but have become interested in an upgrade lately as I've been shooting less video and more stills. W/Video the 5dmk2 downscales a bit so a tip top lens isn't 100% needed but as I need to shoot more stills I'm looking to get a great 50mm lens. I will be shooting people/portraits/fashion type shooting.

(I've considered the 85 1.2L but think I need something of a more normal range).

I was debating whether to go with the Sigma 50 1.4 as that seems to be popular or the Canon 50 1.2L.

I'll be shooting both bokehlicious open ap shots/video and also stopped down. I know both have 'issues' with focusing.

I like low contrast images, in fact I've lately been using a Tiffen Ultra Contrast filter just for that reason. I like images like this -

- where you can preserve as much detail as possible and reign in the extremes.

I know both are good lenses, foibles aside. I'm basically wondering if I should get the Sigma or put down the money for the Canon as an investment.

Ultimately IQ will be important as I'll be shooting stills of people so IQ and contrast (as in seeing detail in the extremes of the image) are important to me.

However, I'll also be shooting video still and I'm a little concerned about the Sigma's focusing vs the Canon's, the latter of which is said to be smoother. I'm going to try them out hopefully at the weekend but basically I'm clueless on this one.

What for video + stills mostly of people/fashion related - esp when you are someone like me who likes a low contrast image.

Merci!
x

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow