Synching 2 SB-28's and 2 SB-800's as single, multi-flash strobe?

Started Nov 22, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Peter Patricelli
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?
Synching 2 SB-28's and 2 SB-800's as single, multi-flash strobe?
Nov 22, 2010

I need to do strobed, multi-flash pictures of action and have 2 SB-28's and 2 SB-800's, four Pocket Wizards, and a variety of cords to play with. I am going to multi-flash between 10 and 20 flashes/sec with both units set on 1/64 power. The SB-28's flash will be 1/28Kth and the SB-800's will be 1/32k. Since the shutter will be open for the whole second (in the dark) I assume that difference will not be a problem.

It appears to my naked eye that when I trigger one unit and the second is hard-wired to the first for 20 flashes at 20 Hz that they flash in synch EVEN THO, by trial, the second unit is only getting the same trigger start and the following 19 flases are on it's own timer.

It also appears, to my naked eye, that using different Pocket Wizard receivers on 3 units (one pair hard wired) that they are flashing in synch....but my eye would never note the difference if they were.

Question 1: Is the timing within each unit such that for 20 flashes at 20 Hz, if all get the first signal at the same time, that they will stay in sufficient synch all on their own for the full 20 flashes/second?

Question 2: If #1 is NO....Is there a way that the successive flashes of the first unit can be hard-wired so that each flash triggers a corresponding flash in ALL the other units hard wired to it to keep them in synch?

Question 3: OR, would it be better (or even possible) to have my Pocket Wizard transmitter set to trigger each flash in the 20 flash cycle independently and have each flash set up with it's own PW receiver?

Lots of ways to skin this cat. Anyone know the BEST way?

Thank you for any help.
--
Peter Patricelli
http://www.flyfishingfotography.com

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow