Started Nov 21, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
xpanded
Regular MemberPosts: 320Gear list
Like?
Odd question – V-Lux 1 vs Panasonic GH1 or G2
Nov 21, 2010

This may seem like a comparison of Apples and PCs (based on sensor size etc), but since a G-series would have the same function for me as the V-Lux 1 has, I was wondering if anybody out there has actually tried both the V-Lux 1 (or Panny version) and the GH1/G2 and can make an informed comparison?

The V-Lux 1 I like a lot for its versatility and with some exposure correction (my specimen requires -2/3) and careful AF-focusing the output is adequate for my needs as a multi photo tool. At least when I stay below 300mm, and only venture into 200mm to 300 when absolutely necessary. But I am not too keen on the IQ above base ISO, I would not mind a few mms more on the wide end, and it is effectively a stills camera only. The V-Lux 2 is out of the question since it does not have a zoom ring, and I can barely keep a 300mm steady anyway.

Enter the G-series. Yesterday I found myself comparing the body of my dusty old V-Lux 1 with a battery-less G2 in a shop. With the V-Lux 1 (and the G-series seem similar) I find carrying the camera body entirely discomforting! The size does not sit well around my neck and the body as such is too small to be carried hand on grip . But the size/weight/quality trade off is good.

So until now I walk with the Leica dangling from a neck strap in my hand (managing to look even more foolish than normally), but I just ordered a Cottoncarrier and hope it will allow me to carry the V-Lux on my chest. Hence the idea to upgrade to a GH2 (chosen for super fast AF instead of GH1 and G2) with a 14-140 for the same approximate reach. I reckon the GH2 will not be inferior to the GH1/G2 for which long term usage opinions have formed.

For me the negative sides of cameras often reveal themselves slowly and I put more value into other shooters’ experience than expert reviews anyway. So thanks in advance and all input much appreciated – also if you have not tried the V-Lux but have extensive G-series experience.

I have chosen to post in this forum since this is probably where most V-Lux users reside.

Cheers
Xpanded

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow