Started Nov 20, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Triumph Steve
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016Gear list
Like?
My new E-5 is a lemon - I can't be more disappointed
Nov 20, 2010

Big problems with my Olympus E-5. Whereas I have had the pleasure of owning a truly stellar E-3 (see my E-3 images at http://triumph.smugmug.com ), I've had this new E-5 camera for a few weeks now, and I have to report that after taking a few hundred images, the camera's image quality seems to be quite faulty.

This problem is evident when looking at JPEG and RAW images with Olympus Viewer 2, and even simple JPEGs via my favorite Capture One software, at 100% magnification. When I go back and look at my E-3 images at 100% magnification, those photos look much better than my E-5 test shots. Uh-oh, something's wrong here. All conditions are equal, and as with my prior E-3 user, I know how to set up the E-5 for (theoretical) maximum image quality.

Some of my E-5 images taken on one particular day look fine, with good sharpness and low noise. Yet most images on other days have substantial noise, and sharpness seems poor. Dynamic range is also very bad, with lots of blown highlights. I've already reset the camera settings once to see if I have some hidden menu problem, but it didn't help. As an experienced E-3 user, I know how to use this new E-5, and my test images have been shot at ISO 100 to 200, noise reduction turned off, IS turned to #1 setting, gradation set to Normal, superfine JPEG setting, DPI setting at 300, and shutter speed and f/stop settings adequate to yield good exposure and no hand-held shutter shake. Regardless, most of my images show lots of noise and/or digital artifacts at a low ISO 100 to 200, which is not logical, and sharpness is generally quite poor. This has happened with most all images and while using my 25mm pancake lens, 12-60mm and 50mm macro.

I called Olympus tech support and they want me to e-mail some images to them for their review. And tomorrow I plan to head over to my camera store and tell the owner, who sold me this E-5, about the problem. I hope he'll just take it back, no questions asked, but I doubt he'll do that for such an expensive camera sale refund.

This really sucks. In a day or so, I'll upload a few of these bad IQ images as an example of my Olympus lemon.

Olympus Imaging America, if you're reading this, that new E-5 I got from you is faulty, and you need to either fix it or replace it. I am a very unhappy Olympus semi-pro right now who is ready to jump ship.

That new Pentax K5 is looking mighty sweet right now.

-- hide signature --

Steve in Chapel Hill, NC
Hebrews 11:1
Personal photo web site can be found at http://triumph.smugmug.com/

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow