Started Nov 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
euphotos
Regular MemberPosts: 295
Like?
Is the D7000 a game changer for you?
Nov 19, 2010

First, I have no illusions about the D7000 (or the Pentax K-5) being a better camera than the D700 or other FF cameras. But the new APS-C cameras are way cheaper and smaller and while their image quality in general does not touch that of the D700, there are aspects to it where they are approaching or even exceeding the D700. So all you current and potential FF Nikon users, has the release of the new APS-C crop (pun intended) affected your camera purchase plans?

I'm a Pentax user myself (currently with a K-x and a K20D), but have severily lusted for the D700. However, now after the release of the D7000 (and the Pentax K-5 which is close to the same quality, according to some tests above, according to others below) I'm not so sure. I'll probably let go of the FF dreams for now as the image quality of APS-C seems to have reach a good enough level. Starting from a clean slate, I'd probably get a D7000, but since I already have about a dozen lenses and a flash for Pentax, I guess I'll opt for the K-5.

Of course, the next generation of FF cameras with the new sensor technology will be just incredible and will be approaching today's medium format, but I'm not sure if I as an amateur will really need to go that far. Ever.

What do you think?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow