ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CarlosS
Regular MemberPosts: 109
Like?
Traveler's warning
Nov 19, 2010

I am traveling in Quito, Ecuador.

Yesterday, in Historic Main Square, I was the victim of a frustrated robbery. I was carrying a 5DII, 200-400 lens, an on-camera 24-105 plus a few other pieces inside a photo backpack. I also had a substantial amount of cash, to pay for our trip to Galapagos.

Someone threw liquid excrement on the back of my legs, jacket and backpack. A woman told me of this and offered to clean my jacket. This is a common trick to get you distracted. I happen to speak the language, know the trick and be in complete control of vulgar slang, which I threw at the woman. There are accomplices in-waiting. She quickly disappeared leaving me with ruined cloth and backpack. That was a close call, but I feel I should be of help warning other photographers.

However, 2 years ago I asked a similar question concerning a trip to Chile. I was belittled but during my trip I realized that common delinquency is rampant there.

Lessons: Don't travel with an obviously photo backpack. Delinquents know...Stealth is better...

Don't be afraid to ask in this or other forums. It's better to be flamed here than robbed later.

And...Ontario is not a city, but a province...

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow